| Audio File || |
Introduction or about us
The Department of Occupational Medicine of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences started working with four faculty members at the School of Medicine in 2011. Since October 2012, an assistant has also been employed in this department. One of the actions of this department was the establishment of a specialized clinic of occupational medicine, which is considered as the main reference for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of work-related diseases. The clinic is currently working with the faculty members of the Department of Occupational Medicine and provides specialized Occupational Medicine services (including examinationsat the beginning of employment, periodic examinations, visits by referral patients from industrial units and legal counseling) by having the appropriate Diagnostic, educational and therapeutic services, which provides a good educational environment for the training of assistants of this field.
Direct telephone number of Department of Occupational Medicine: +98-51-38002176
Direct telephone number of specialized center of occupational medicine: +98-51-36044976
Address of specialized center of occupational medicine: 2th East Amin Street, Sajjad Blvd
Author of the website: Dr. Fatemeh Ahmadi
B. Duties and Tasks:
1. Training special assistants in the field of occupational medicine from October 2011 based on the relevant curriculum.
2. Collaboration with educational departments to train special assistants, train medical, paramedics and health students in occupational diseases, ergonomics, occupational health and other related fields.
3. Perform research projects related to occupational health and work-related illnesses at the level of industrial units and government agencies of the province.
4. Carrying out research activities in cooperation with other departments, offices, organizations, and industries in the field of labor medicine.
5. Standardization and qualitative upgrading of periodic examinations at the beginning of employment in accordance with scientific principles and legal requirements at the specialized clinic of occupational medicine.
6. Development of the specialized services of occupational medicine and implementation of referral system in occupational diseases with the purpose of diagnose, treatment and dealing with work-related diseases by using all the potentials and facilities available at universities, educational hospitals and health centers affiliated with university.
7. Using the ideas of professors of other educational departments in order to develop the educational-research activities of the department.
8. Holding educational workshops and organized retraining programs of occupational medicine in order to enhance the level of knowledge, function and skills industry physicians and the experts of occupational health.
9. Providing medical advice to law enforcement agencies about diagnosis of work-related diseases.
10. Programming in order to enhance the health of the staff of University of Medical Sciences of Mashhad.
c. Introduction of fields of study:
Introduction to Occupational Medicine
The field of occupational medicine is one of the specialized fields of clinical medicine, which examines the mutual influences of work, environment, and health. It also identifies, evaluates, prevents, controls, manages and treats diseases and injuries at workplace and deals with the consequences of exposure to environmental degradation factors in society.
The professionals of this field do their duties to achieve the ultimate goal of providing, maintaining and improving physical, psychological and social health of workers in different professions by applying medical and health sciences, epidemiology, toxicology, ergonomics, safety, behavioral sciences, management, related laws and conducting education, research and counseling.
From a historical point of view, the occupational diseases have existed in societies since a few thousand years ago. Diseases, such as poisoning by heavy metals in miners, have been detected by doctors hundreds of years ago. These diseases were recognized scientifically and academically in 1700 by publishing of a book about the diseases of industrialists by Mr.Marazini. Since the beginning of the 20th century and increase of the existence of harmful occupational elements and with respect to occupational diseases, the field of occupational medicine began to be recognized as a specialized filed in medical sciences. In 1904, the first occupational clinic was opened in Italy and elsewhere in Europe.
The first academy of occupational medicine was established in America in 1916, and education in occupational medicine was started as a specialized academic field in 1954, which operated independently in America.
The history of using the titles, such as occupational medicine, industrial medicine and the like, in Iran dates back to eight decades ago. One of the most important medical units at the beginning of the establishment of the first industrial center of the country, namely the Abadan Refinery, was the office of industrial medicine. Considering the increasing requirements of the country and scientific development of tasks related to work and environment, the first organized course of specialized education of occupational medicine was recognized as a specialized clinical course by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education in 1995. On October of the same year, Tehran University of Medical Sciences decided to employ an assistant for a three-year specialized course. Since 2007, the universities of medical sciences of Yazd and Iran and after that, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences expanded the number of educational centers to four departments by employing a specialist assistant of occupational medicine. The period of education in this filed is three years.
The main mission of the field of occupational medicine is to educate efficient and knowledgeable specialists in the area of diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of work-related and environmental diseases. It also attempts to promote and develop science production in various areas of the field, enhance inter-sectoral communication and provide specialized services to target population.
1. The purpose of assistant training
It is expected that the graduates of the field of occupational medicine be able to:
Ø Perform examination of clinical experiments, analyze the results of environmental assessments, and assess industrial processes, and occupational and environmental diseases.
Ø Identify the harmful factors of the workplace and their negative effects on health of workers, and present solutions.
Ø Take the necessary measures to prevent occupational diseases.
Ø Take measures to deal with occupational and environmental diseases.
Ø Take advise from relevant experts on matters related to other fields and refer them to the related sections when needed.
Ø Educate their audience about occupational health in industry and other work places.
Ø Design, implement and organize research activities in the field of occupational health in industry.
Ø Manage occupational health services in industry.
2. Number of employed specialized assistants
The maximum and minimum capacity of employing assistant is determined according to the requirements of the country, number and scientific and professional capabilities of the faculty members, number and type of patients, and resources and facilities of the relevant educational centers by the secretariat of the council of medical and specialized education.
3. Number of specialized assistant employed in previous years
Academic year of 2012-2013: three individuals
Academic year of 2014-2015: three individuals
Academic year of 2015-2-16: three individuals
Academic year 2016-2017: two individuals
4. General structure of the training course
• The compulsory shifting between clinical departments for 12 months including: two months in internal section (internal organs, nerves, glands, internal emergency), two months in lung department, two months in rheumatologic department, two months in skin department, one month in otorhinolaryngology department, one month in radiology department, one month in Forensic pathology, one month in poisoning department
• The optional shifting between clinical departments for one month: one of the departments of eye, rehabilitation, psychiatric, emergency
Clinic of occupational medicine for 10 months